Quite simply as the name suggests it is a self contained unit which drops into the empty bed of your pickup truck*.
What is the benefit?
A normal pickup will have one of three things:
- An open bed i.e. no cover perhaps with a plastic liner or spray liner (which we can supply)
- A tourneo cover being either a fabric based or metal folding or hinged bed cover
- A top of some description which sits on the edge of the bed held down by clamps and provides a roof over the contents only.
The benefits of a drop in de-mountable pickup body is that the pickup body is a self contained pod meaning that it can be removed from the truck bed with it's contents still inside.
What makes this top different?
Most pickup type tops sit on the rim of the bed and have a rear door which closes to the top of the tailgate only.
Other pickup top options involve either a complete change of the rear tub body or removal of the tailgate which leaves the whole door exposed.
Our top gives you a full length door whilst keeping the tailgate for added security.
The benefits of having been designed with a full height contoured lockable rear door which sits behind the tailgate are:
- A full height door which gives cover over the tailgate area
- Security when the body is off the vehicle
- Double security when on the vehicle because the body door is closed behind the tailgate
This video shows the principle of a removable body as it is pulled back on the bed ready for lifting off.
The tailgate supports the body as it moves backwards out of the bed.
It also demonstrates how light the body is.
This was a quick opportunistic video taken to show how the full length rear door closes behind the tailgate for added security.
It also shows how the body can be slid back (albeit slightly in this video) to show how it can be quickly and easily slid back and lifted off allowing the open bed to be used.
FORK LIFT REMOVAL
This is a short video of our Toyota Hilux (Dbl Cab) demountable body showing how easy it is to swap out a fully loaded body using a forklift.
We have designed this drop in pickup body with the inclusion of slots for forklift tynes to allow large volume users to be able to interchange units in a relatively short period of time. With our design you can swap tops in a matter of minutes and because the unit has a full length lockable door the pod remains a closed and secure container when off the vehicle.
Customers who use pickups with tops:
- Emergency services
- Power companies
- Water Companies
- Council services
- Construction companies
- Private owners
The benefits of the drop in pickup body to all of these users becomes apparent in two ways
Costs can be reduced by having a pod system which is interchangeable meaning that one vehicle can perform several tasks, we have listed just a few examples below:
- Fire Fighting where the body is fitted with a pump system for the fire service for rapid response
- Flood response where the body is fitted with a pump and other equipment for assisting with floods
- Search and rescue where the body is equipped with specialist equipment
- Power and water companies where the body is fitted out as a mobile workshop
For the private buyer the basic drop in pickup body is light enough to be lifted off (empty) and set to one side to allow the use of the pickup bed for other purposes.
When it is on the pickup it can be used for everything from transporting animals to being kitted out for recreational diving.
NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PHOTO :)
* The drop in body has been designed to fit the Toyota Hilux Double Cab Mk 7/8 (initially)